Built in 1841 by Gilbert Scott, the architect of St Pancras Station in London, as a “Chapel of Ease”, Christ Church became a parish church in its own right in 1871 and to mark the occasion the chancel and steeple were added to the building.
At its foundation, the church life had a combination of bible teaching and concern for the ordinary people of Bridlington, and later in its development, missionary support grew as well.
Jonathan and Anne Couper arrived in 1981, and the church grew and changed significantly in that time. Worship patterns changed, new congregations were planted, a network of churches established, some church members have been called to go overseas or have become staff, small groups were introduced, new ministries including Alpha, Pastoral Support, many conferences take place and a network of departments, administration and community programmes, all of which make up the life here at Christ Church.
in 1992 Christ Church Community Services was also established which has included the development of the Key Centre, Christ Church Early Learning, Children and Family Projects and many other community based projects including the Furniture Store and Todz Shop, now known as The Community Hub.
The greatest change to church life has been through the welcoming of the Holy Spirit moving in power by His presence and gifts. This continues to be a great priority for Christ Church and has been seen and expressed in different forms over the years.
In November 2017 a new Priest-in-Charge was appointed who, in 2018, became Vicar of a now United Benefice of Christ Church Bridlington with Bessingby, St Mark’s and St Magnus and Ulrome, St Andrew’s. From the basis of this unity there is a clarifying of vision and focus emerging as we head into the next season of our development as a church of churches, projects and ministry areas called CCBN.